Facelifting is a medical term used for a surgical procedure which aims to correct visible signs of ageing of the face and neck. The fall of the middle third structures can create or enhance sulcus below the lower eyelid (nasojulgal groove) and between the nose and mouth (nasolabial folds) that leads to a tired looking face aspect. The fall of the fat tissue and loss of muscle tone associated with sagging skin contribute to the loss of face and neck contours and are related to a number of factors including heredity, gravity effect, environmental conditions and stress.
Facial lifiting aims to mitigate these aging effects, giving the face and neck a younger and refreshed look with more defined contours by repositioning muscle tissue, fat and removing excess skin.
There are several criteria that must be consired when one wishes to undergo a face and neck surgery, such as:
- The first consideration is choosing the professional, as well as all other plastic surgery it should be performed by a qualified plastic surgeon, well-trained and a member of the Brazilian Society of Plastic Surgery (Sociedade Brasileira de Cirurgia Plástica) with mandatory training of 11 years.
- The face and neck surgery must be performed in a hospital environment in the presence of an anesthesiologist.
- There is no specific age to undergo facial surgery since the aging process is very individual. There are also other factors such as lifestyle, smoking, sun exposure, skin care that can influence the decision to have surgery as its success after having it done.
- There is no way to predict how long the results will last since it is something very personal. However, we know that a successful procedure can leave the patient with a rejuvenated appearance for many years and yet scientific studies show that despite the constant aging process as years go by, the patient will have a better appearance than if it had never been submited to surgery.
- It is very important to associate face lifting with skin care and dermatological treatments.
- It is worth paying attention that facelifting does not change the fundamental appearance of the individual’s face (for example ethnic features and shape of the face) and cannot stop the aging process.
- Facelifting may be associated with eyelid surgery and forehead lift according to your surgeon indication.
- You should also pay attention to all the necessary indications for surgery, as well as information about the postoperative period.
So before undergo a facelift it is important to discuss with the surgeon about all your expectations regarding the outcome.