Liposuction is a surgical procedure which aims to remove localized fat in certain body parts. It is an operation performed with the help of aspiration cannulas, which are introduced into the body through small incisions. The main places where this technique can be used are: submental fat (“double chin”), arms, thoracic region, abdomen, waist, back, hips, buttocks, thighs, inner region of knees and legs.
Liposuction can improve body contour in areas where the accumulation of fat is out of balance with the rest of the body and is best suited for adult patients with localized fat, with firm, elastic skin and good muscle tone.
When you wish to undergo a liposuction there are several criteria that need to be observed, such as:
- The first consideration is choosing the professional, as well as all other plastic surgery it should be performed by a qualified plastic surgeon, well-trained and a member of the Brazilian Society of Plastic Surgery (Sociedade Brasileira de Cirurgia Plástica) with mandatory training of 11 years.
- It is important to highlight that liposuction is not a treatment for obesity or a substitute for proper diet and exercises. Like wise, it is not a treatment for cellulite, stretch marks or sagging skin that typically appears on the thighs, hips and buttocks.
- The liposuction should be performed in a hospital environment in the presence of an anesthesiologist.
- There is no specific age to undergo a liposuction because it depends on genetic factors and lifestyle habits that influence the decision to have surgery as its success after having it done.
- Preoperative is critical to the success of the surgery, as a stable weight and within BMI normal range (body mass index) would be ideal. In some cases, the patient is oriented to a nutritional follow-up prior to surgery in order to obtain long-lasting results.
- There is no way to predict how long results will last, because it is something very personal and dependent on the patient’s lifestyle, both before and after surgery is performed.
- The removed fat can be used to perform fat grafts in areas of the body that present deficiency of this tissues, with a variable rate of grafted fat resorption on the The most appropriate places to perform the fat grafting should be discussed with your plastic surgeon.
- It is very important to associate liposuction with skin care and dermatological treatments.
So before you undergo liposuction, it is important to discuss with the surgeon about your expectations regarding the outcome, in addition to pre and post-operative guidelines.
Your body shows your beauty and confidence. Reveal yourself!