Otoplasty is the surgery performed in the ears to correct deformities that leaves them with an undesirable appearance to the patient and can cause emotional problems.
This plastic surgery is used to treat:
- The position of the ear, leaving it closer to the head;
- Some deformities resulting from trauma or infections;
- Large ears – a rare condition called macrotia – causing disproportionality to the patient’s face and consequently leading to low self-esteem and emotional discomfort;
- The shape of the ear, not only “floppy ear” which is the most known case, but also, for example, the “spock ear”;
To perform the otoplasty, we need to respect certain criteria, such as:
- The first consideration is choosing the professional, as well as all other plastic surgery it should be performed by a qualified plastic surgeon, well-trained and a member of the Brazilian Society of Plastic Surgery (Sociedade Brasileira de Cirurgia Plástica) with mandatory training of 11 years.
- The otoplasty should be performed in a hospital environment in the presence of an anesthesiologist.
- Surgery is best suited for patients who have reached full development of the ears, which happens around 6 years of age, preventing the child to suffer psychological problems;
- Some conditions such as anemia and clotting problems or changes in the cardiological evaluation can only be detected in the preoperative examination, which are critical for patient’s safety.
- You should also pay attention to all the necessary indications for surgery, as well as information about the postoperative period.
So before undergo an otoplasty, it is important to discuss with the surgeon about all your expectations regarding the outcome.
Improve your self-esteem and reveal your beauty and confidence with otoplasty, but do not forget, consult our surgeons to know how to proceed!