Plastic surgery has an important role in the treatment of patients who have experienced major weight loss, either after having undergone bariatric surgery or after dietary re-education associated with physical activity.
The so called body contouring surgeries are indicated after weight stabilization, once patients are in clinical appropriate conditions (preoperative clinical examination and assessment of nutritional deficiencies) and have realistic expectations over surgical procedures.
Surgical procedures to improve body contouring include:
- Abdominoplasty: treats the contour and excess skin of the abdomen.
- Mastopexy : treats the ptosis (“fall”) and shape of the breast.
- Brachioplasty: treats excess skin and contour of the arms.
- Thighplasty: treats the excess skin and contour of the thighs.
- Rhytidectomy: treats the excess and sagging of the face.
- Torsoplasty: treats the excess skin and contour of the back.
For patients who wish to treat different body parts, it is established a priority order. An individualized treatment plan is made. In some cases, it´s possible to perform combined procedures as long as they do not compromise the clinical safety of the patient in terms of duration of surgery and recovery.